The garden’s going well this year: We’ve harvested our first two dozen tomatoes this weekend, and we picked our second cucumber.
My favorite thing to do with cucumbers is to make cucumber sandwiches, as follows:
- Remove crusts from white bread and cut into squares. I’ve been using Orowheat County White bread, which I cut with a large bread knife.
- Spread little dollops of mayonnaise on one side of each slice and place the slices on a serving tray.
- Peel the cucumber and cut into slices. Put each slice on a piece of bread.
- Shake salt and pepper on top of the finished sandwiches.
- If making more than one layer, put wax paper between the layers.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Consume greedily.
They’re not true “sandwiches” since they have only one square of bread each. But who cares? Also: Eat them the same day you make them, because the bread gets soggy if you leave them overnight. Ick.
But meanwhile, yummmmmm: