A light week for my birthday haul, it turned out:
- Booster Gold #6, by Geoff Johns, Jeff Katz, Dan Jurgens & Norm Rapmund (DC)
- Countdown to Final Crisis #15 of 52 (backwards), by Paul Dini, Tony Bedard, Keith Giffen, Pete Woods, Tom Derenick & Wayne Faucher (DC)
- The Umbrella Academy #5 of 6, by Gerard Way & Gabriel Bá (Dark Horse)
- Boneyard #27, by Richard Moore (NBM)
- Atomic Robo #4 of 6, by Brian Clevinger, Scott Wegener & Zack Finfrock (Red 5)
- Modern Masters vol 15: Mark Schultz TPB, edited by Fred Perry & Eric Nolen Weathington (Two Morrows)
In fact, it’s such a light week that I have little to say about any of these books! Especially since most of them are issues in the middle of a multi-issue story. They were generally good reads, though.
Actually, I haven’t yet cracked the Modern Masters volume, but I’m looking forward to it. Mark Schultz was the writer/artist behind Xenozoic Tales – and still is, except that no new issues of that comic have been printed in over a decade. It was a terrific mix of science fiction, fantasy, pulp adventure, and absolutely stunningly beautiful artwork. It’s one of the ten comics I most regret having ended too soon. Schultz has worked as a writer in comics off and on since then, but nothing I’ve seen by him has equalled Xenozoic Tales. I’m hoping I’ll see some new artwork and learn some new things about this wonderful series in this MM volume.